Cherokee County fire
Firefighters from Leesburg, Sand Rock and Centre responded Tuesday afternoon to a fire at a residence on County Road 235 in the Slackland community where someone was reported to be trapped inside. After the fire was brought under control, a body was found. It’s believed the fire might have started around a kerosene heater and that the victim might have gone back into the residence to try to put it out and was overcome by the fire and smoke. Positive ID of the victim is pending an examination of DNA samples sent to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences.